It may be a bit odd to write about brain cancer and crochet patterns in subsequent posts. I thought about not posting it, but it’s my space and since my life revolves around both, here we go.
Nate, at seven, is a fan of Minecraft like most kids he knows. When we moved, he wanted a Minecraft themed room and I searched Pinterest like a good suburban mom. Most of the ideas were insane and hello, he might change his mind in six months. I went the lazy route: I bought posters that can be easily changed with shifting interests. He bought a stuffed character with his birthday money and taped up pictures from a LEGO magazine. We declared success.
I tried to follow this pattern, but ended up finding fewer shades of green than I would have liked, so I had to wing it a bit. I don’t have an exact pattern, but I can explain my method. Keep in mind, my creeper ended up being in the shape of a rectangle, not a square like most things in Minecraft. I stopped at 80 granny squares because I was sick of making them, but you easily add a row to each side to square it off (bringing your overall number of squares to 100).
1 skein Red Heart Super Saver Hunter Green
2 skeins Vanna’s Choice Fern
2 skeins Vanna’s Choice Dusty Green
2 skeins Vanna’s Choice Olive
3 skeins Vanna’s Choice Kelly Green (used two for squares, one for joining)
2 skeins Vanna’s Choice Linen
4 skeins Vanna’s Choice black
Finished size: approximately five feet by four feet
(Basic granny square: I did five rounds, with one chain stitch between clusters and two chain stitches on the corners.)
Make ten basic granny squares of each color except black. Make twenty squares from the black. Altogether, you should have 80 squares total. The Red Heart yarn made squares that were slightly bigger than the others, but it didn’t matter when I joined them together.
Lay out the squares in the design that you want. I didn’t want any specific green touching another of the same shade, so I made sure the placement was varied. Once I had my layout, I took a picture and then made piles of each horizontal row, keeping the squares in the order I wanted. That way, I just join them together quickly without constantly looking at my picture.
I used this joining method, which worked well. The joining yarn does show more than I would like, but that’s somewhat unavoidable due to so many colors. I joined the first two horizontal rows and just kept adding them that way until it was together only in horizontal seams. Then I went back and folded each seams vertically, joining the same way.
Next, I sewed in all the yarn ends. I thought I would go crazy sewing in each square as I was making them and I’m glad I waited to do them all at once.
The border was just two rows of a granny pattern. On the last round, I added a picot stitch between the second and third stitch of each cluster. It added the illusion of a third round without needing another skein of black yarn.
I blocked it by spraying it lightly in my shower with the showerhead (giant spray bottle!) and pinning it to the desired measurements to my carpet. I always run a fan pointed toward the ground on my projects and it seems to work nicely.
Overall, I’m very pleased with the result. It required far too much materials and man hours in my opinion, but I’m glad I finished it and I know my son will love it.